Sunday, June 27, 2010

This is It!!!

I'm gonna make a change, for once in my life
It's gonna feel real good
gonna make a difference
gonna make it right......

When I first heard the words of this song, it became my anthem to change and making a difference in lives of Soldiers. The mirror holds the key to change and it’s always there every morning reminding you that the reflection you see is the person you are. It’s funny how music can influence your life. It can pep you up when your energy is low. It can heal your heart when you’re feeling sad. It can bring a smile as it reminds you of a funny moment from your past. The “King of Pop” Michael Jackson had that knack to create music that inspired generations and it continues on even though he’s gone. I was asked by a good friend to blog about MJ and I think we’re off to a good start. To describe his career, one word sums it up…..WOW!!!! No matter how much you despise, loath, feel sorry for, there has to be one of his songs you listened to. By some standards, many Americans would say MJ was a weird fellow. The tabloids labeled him “Wacko Jacko”. Harsh words about a man who people failed to really try and understand. It was impossible to understand the man because no one can get near him to try. He lived his whole life protected from everyone. To say he lived a sheltered life is really an understatement.

At the tender and influential age of 5, MJ was thrust into the limelight of performing for television shows and concerts. He immediately went into witness protection as I call it, by his father to protect him from crazed fans who wanted a piece of him and his brothers. I can’t imagine what that was like. As a child, I could come and go as I pleased. I had a lot of other young kids to play with in the neighborhood. MJ couldn’t make friends like you and I because of a paranoid over protective father. All he had was music to channel his emotions. If you listen to his early music, you can hear in the lyrics how he aged through the years. There was no other release for all those childhood inhibitions. All that energy he had was channeled into performing. He went through the early years longing to be child and growing up like you and I but fame robbed him of this. On the 20th Motown Celebration, he broke free of the family and he was off on his own.

MJ was young and had a lot of money to do whatever he pleased. Think back to when you were a child; did you have weird obsession of animals you would like to have for a pet? Tell me you didn’t think once while visiting the zoo as a child that man, monkeys are so funny and cool, wish I could have one. Don’t lie to yourself. You know you thought that. What was the first thing MJ bought? He bought a damn monkey. As adults, we don’t see those childhood fantasies we had anymore because we are molded to think rationally as we get older. MJ didn’t have that. Although he was now a young man, his thoughts were still that of a child and the adult only came out in performing. The older he got, it appeared to me that the child was trying to break free and control MJ’s off the stage persona. Never Never Land theme park in his back yard and the zoo was put in place for him to excise that child in him. You could see the conflict in his world through his videos. The crotch grabbing became more of his signature mark than his leg kick and the moonwalk. The one video where he went off on a tirade of smashing a car to pieces was a defining moment in his career.

Those families that brought their kids over saw an opportunity and seized on it. This is why I’m so direct in saying this. If we’re adults and we’re taught through life to think rationally, would we leave our kids with a man who we feel is unstable? I’m not making a plea for MJ’s innocence; I’m just stating a common sense moment. I could take someone I know who loves MJ to death and ask, would you leave your kids with MJ? Her answer would be HELL NO!!! The first case is an obvious one where claims were made. The family took the money and ran. You’re probably telling yourself that this action of paying makes him guilty. Rewind, you’re thinking as a rational adult, MJ is a child in mind, remember. That will always make you look guilty to the public as well as the legal system. Instead of going through a courtroom disaster where all of your world will be displayed even more to the public, MJ chose the right route. The second time however, the adult in him was screaming enough is enough. No one’s getting any money and I’m going to make my case. Now if you don’t think MJ was a child in mind, think back to his pre-courtroom out on the streets. Jumping on top of his limo and doing impromptu performances. Normal people would’ve just waved and walked into the court house. Even through his obvious illnesses encountered through the trial, he played them up as a child would. Think about kids and how they act around adults. They always try to get your attention and gain your love by doing something stupid. They jump up and give performances at any given moment during the family gatherings, BBQs and things of this nature. There’s no excuse as an adult for his behavior but you cannot dismiss what you have now read as I saw MJ.

I do miss his music and I do miss him performing. I’m not ashamed to say that I loved his music. I loved his performances because you were always going to get a show. I went to one of his concerts in Europe and let me just say this; I have never seen a concert that could match his energy and attention to detail. So as I put on my one glove with the rhinestones for sparkle, my piano keyboard T-shirt with the notes waving above them, and my red zipper jacket I say thank you MJ for assisting me to change the man in the mirror. Now MJ, I will be honest, there’s no way I’m wearing this in public. I have a reputation to uphold. Thanks for stopping by Stretch’s Corner. These are just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment